11.07.2013

NaNoWriMo

11.07.2013
So, we're literally about a week into November, and I'm long over-due for this announcement. So, um - this year I'm going to be participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). In other words, I'm writing a novel! Don't worry, I'm also far behind on my daily goals in writing it too.
I've always thought about writing - I think I have a fair amount of skill at it (not a gift I was born with, but one I've developed from years of reading other people's books), but it's not an idea I've ever sincerely thought about pursuing.
Do I really think this novel I decided to write on a whim is going to be any good? Good enough to be published and read by the masses? Le Nope. But I do think it would be fun and amusing to let my friends read it, so there is also something there. Most writers say that they don't do it for the money, just for the opportunity for someone else to read their work. Honestly, I don't even know how I feel about that. My intentions with this is just to try something different and challenge my creativity in a new way. It's been about a year since I've graduated from college, and when that ended so did every good idea in my brain. I'm a little horrified to see what I'll be doing in 10 years, if in only a year I wanted to call it quits on Creative Thought. Creativity is as important as air to me. In fact, post-grad the thing that disturbed me the most after college isn't how stupid adults are, but how un-imaginative they are. I've met so few imaginative adults that it really kind of sickens me. Dear God, Please don't let me become like them!

So my I'm trying to write is a hipster romance novel. (I'm trying really hard not to take myself too seriously). I don't have as much time to spend writing it as I'd hoped, but lord bless I'm having a lot of fun with it so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.