5.12.2015

Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour

5.12.2015
Kindle


I picked up Everything Leads to You by Nina Lacour because the cover is kinda pretty, though it doesn't tell you much about what to expect from the story and neither does the title. To be perfectly honest, I went in not knowing at all what to expect.
Honestly, I was kind of underwhelmed. It started off okay, but about mid-way through I had the ending figured out, but had already invested enough into it that I'd might as well see it through.

Set in LA, Emi is a very lucky teenager indeed - though she may only be an intern, she's barely out of high school and already has her dream job: designing sets for major movies. She's an incredibly talented intern, and as such (and this is that part that's pure fiction) the paid professionals actually value her in-put. She's having a little trouble navigating her feelings for her ex-girlfriend, whom she still sees regularly at work and her brother (also in the business) leaves her and her best friend Charlotte his apartment while he's out of town on the grounds that they use it to do something epic.
Charlotte and Emi visit an estate sale for a famous bachelor and discover a letter meant for his unknown daughter, but instead it leads them to a troubled girl by named Ava.

Okay, here's what I did like about this book:

  1. Lesbian heroine - LGBT themes in YA has come a long way since I was a teenager (which wasn't such a long time ago) and I think that's so wonderful and healthy, but I still wish there was more of it!
  2. Realistic (sort of) portrayal of what it's like to be a young professional. You can do your best, in other words, and still be stunned by how naive and inexperienced you still are. That part felt really true.
Here's what I didn't like:
  1. Some of it felt flat. Like, I didn't feel the attraction to Ava - Emi seems like the sort of girl who will just about fall for anyone. Even though as a straight woman (so please take this with a grain of salt), I felt no chemistry for Ava, though it was totally predictable that they would end up together.
  2. Sigh. Okay. I get it. Emi is a decorating prodigy. And while I actually thought her working was one of the more interesting parts of the book, I don't actually care about her spending a large sum of money on framed prints. More specifically, I don't like that there was so much significance placed on some framed prints (or the green couch), only for them to just vanish from the plot.
I'm in the minority, but I thought it was just 'ight. I can promise that a year from now I will have no memory of ever having read this book at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.