10.05.2014

Spooky-Scary Reading List!

10.05.2014
Just like last year, and the year before that, and the year before that one, forever and ever, America, The Earth, The Universe, etc., I celebrate the month of October by curating a reading list appropriate for Halloween - to get me into the holiday spirit.
Halloween isn't my favorite holiday, but it's the only one I dislike less than all the others. I don't especially like horror, costumes, or, shit, even pumpkin spice. I am, however, a morbid individual. It's hard to explain my rational. I'm not scared or disturbed by horror easily - I actually find a lot of it pretty silly. This may be owing to having grown up on Mystery Science Theater and just being desensitized by it through satire. So when I started devoting the month of October to reading horror novels - a genre that I don't usually give much attention to - it was an attempt to try something new and maybe find something that actually could scare me. But mostly it was just to get myself hyped about a holiday that I would otherwise just ignore. It's a fun tradition, and one that I look forward to, but more often than not I'm unimpressed with the books that I find.
Because I'm Super unversed in the horror genre in novels, I still depend heavily on the recommendations of others. I've read enough Stephen King and HP Lovecraft to know that I'm bored by it and hate it, but I know that there's got to be better horror novels out there. Occasionally I'll actually find some. But if it isn't Stephen King or HP Lovecraft, everyone seems to draw a blank. So it seems to me, the horror genre isn't as expansive as I'd hope. There may be a devoted market for it, but it doesn't seem to touch it's cousins, sci-fi and fantasy.

Anyway, over the course of the month I will be unveiling the creepy little books I've been reading - so stay tuned for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.