3.22.2015

Timeless: The Last Book of the Parasol Protectorate

3.22.2015
Amazon Used
The last book in the Parasol Protectorate series, which I enjoyed so much as a whole, and I'm not really sure how I'm going to do this review. I'm kind of in a haze. Yes, Gail Carriger's new series, "The Custard Protocol," was released only this week - so it's not like I can't continue my journey with these characters absolutely immediately. But the series ended in such a way that... Well, I'm still dealing with Carriger making some decisions that I'm so totally on board with, and others that kind of crushed me. This being the last book in the series, understand that I will have to spoil the very important things. I will keep my review above a break for you, and the spoilers below it. If You Haven't Read This Book Do Not Read Past The Break. 

In this book, Alexia and company has had a few years to settle down until they receive a surprise invitation from an old as the literal hills (if you call pyramids "hills") Egyptian Vampire Queen. There's little choice, but many motives, for her to accept it. One of them being to find out something about her long lost father, and a little more about her preternatural condition. Naturally, new cases of intrigue spring up that must be dealt with.
So this book was a roller coaster ride. There were times where I felt euphoric and other times when I felt like my heart somehow lodged it's self in the back of my throat and I thought, panicking, "Is this real?! Is this real?!" I found out that some readers didn't share my enthusiasm, seeing as it was released around the same time as the last of the Sookie Stackhouse series - which was apparently disappointment (I wasn't a big fan of that series, Louisiana setting notwithstanding, so I can't imagine it ending any worse than the way it began, as I wouldn't read past the first book). Maybe it's because I allowed myself to become completely invested in these characters over the course of the last 3 months, but still couldn't allow myself to accept the bad luck of some of the characters. I'm still trying to digest it.
Rest thee assured that it ends happily, I guess. If you want any proof of that see The Custard Protocol - but do not see it if you haven't finished this series. It is a stand alone, but already it's made enough references to the events in this book to mess a sloppy reader up.
Speaking of, here comes the break! (Don't read if you don't want to be spoiled! You've been warned!)

Okay, are they gone?
Good.
Honestly, I'm so over-whelmed right now! I still can't believe that -! And do you remember when -!! And Gail, How could you-!!!
Okay, first of all let's talk about Lyall and Biffy. I didn't see it coming, but I think it's because I am so hopelessly straight that I wouldn't think to pair someone of the same gender together on my own until someone suggests it for me. But I'm not so straight that I think it's a Terrible Idea because -
- It made me really happy! They were two of my favorite characters in the series. Lyall right from the start, and Biffy is, as they say, "a sweet cinnamon roll too pure for this world." (I don't like cinnamon rolls, but that's not the point.) Maybe I should have seen it coming, but I didn't, and I was delighted anyway.
And then there was the part where Conall died, or nearly died, but Alexia didn't know and went into that depression. OhMiGawd!!
Because, I was like, "Gail wouldn't kill him! No way!" and then I remembered: "Wait, this is the last book in the series and there's only a few pages left. She actually Could!" And even though he came back in the very end, I'm still not sure if I trust it.
 And then, well I'm still not sure how I feel about Ivy becoming a vampire queen. I guess this is as good a way to redeem her after making fun of her for so long - but if Ivy was the comedic relief for so long, now she's the comedic relief who will not live Forever, and has a Husband and Children who might eventually Die (unless she eventually turns them). Which, sure, is some form of character development, but it's not something I'm sure I'm comfortable with ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.