11.03.2015

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler

11.03.2015
Audio book


I don't know why it's taken me this long to figure out that the best way to stop whining about how much time I feel I waste driving to and from work every week and not reading (which is what I'd rather do with that free time if I had it) is to listen to audio books.
Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald was on my TBR list for a few years, but never quiet committed the time to read it. I mean, I love Zelda a little more than her more famous husband and always have. I can't explain why, as I always felt that what I knew about her seemed unreliable.
So I suppose this is why I'm still on the fence about this novel - because it is a novel. There's nothing much wrong with that - in order to write a novel based off of someone who did exist in history, you do have to do some research first. And this novel did set out to show a new perspective of a person who many of us have made up our minds about before ever reading this book. Maybe that's something I struggle with - you may not. You may be happy to just read a nice story about a beautiful, dramatic couple. In which case, you will not be disappointed. It's no secret that Francis and Zelda got a long like cats and dogs for most of their marriage. Personally, I found that aspect to be a bummer. Francis and Zelda were so spirited, it almost became a battle over who can out-maneuver the other. All marriages are a struggle over power - there is no sugar coating that fact, deny it all you want. But sometimes those struggles aren't as depressing as the Fitzgerald's.

I am in no way an expert historian on the Fitzgerald marriage, so I can't say for sure how accurate this novel was. But I am glad I "read it."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.