1.05.2013

True Friends Open Their Homes and Libraries

1.05.2013
I'm currently going through a challenging leg of my life - something everyone has to experience, I suppose, though this knowledge doesn't make it any easier at all. This isn't going to be about how much  my life is a joke, or how my self-esteem is diminished - because that isn't true anyway. This is about how I started this new year worried and roughed up, and how my friends (my true friends) stepped up and delivered.

In the last few days, I have acquired more books than I have time to read. My friends have opened up their libraries to me without my ever having to ask for it. They knew what I needed to heal my wounds, and like I said, they delivered. I'm going to admit, I've done this for my friends in the past. I never expected to have it come back to me, though. My friends are great people who are so because they have earned the right to be, and are under no obligation to stay. I hope you can boast the same of your own.
Between the three of those friends, here is the reading list I've amassed this past week:

  • The Silent Storm by Sherry Garland
  • The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
  • Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
  • The Education of Henry Adams by Henry Adams
  • Common Sense by Thomas Paine
  • American Notes for General Circulation by Charles Dickens
  • In Pharoah's Army by Tobias Wolff
  • Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne by David Starkey
  • The Founding Fathers by Encyclopedia Britannica
  • Women's Spirituality: Power and Grace by Mary Faulkner
  • 13 rue Therese by Elena Mauli Shapiro
  • Beatrix Potter: A Life in Nature by Linda Lear
  • I Kill Giants by Joe Kelly & JM Ken Niimura
  • No One Belongs Here More Than You. by Miranda July  and.....
  • You Are a Little Bit Happier Than I Am by Tao Lin
And yes, I do intend to read everything on this entire list, including YOU, Fountainhead! That's right. My first year out of college, and I am going to read The Fountainhead. 2013: I am a BEAST!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.