4.09.2013

My Clippings: Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)

4.09.2013
Today I'm going to start a new segment called "My Clipping," which basically refers to the highlighting feature on the Amazon Kindle. I noticed a while back that I'd highlighted some really awesome, funny, inspirational, and random passages in books I'd completely forgotten I'd read.  Sometimes it's just because of the way it was phrased. Sometimes, for no other reason than that it resonated with me.

In today's installment, I feature Mindy Kaling's hilarious memoir Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). I personally love this little Throughly Modern American Hindu - I love her show on FOX The Mindy Project (though my Mom doesn't share my enthusiasm because, in her words, "She talks too fast.") I think the was the first book I ever read entirely in ebook form. If you're into Female Comedian Memoirs, which I get it if you're not, and you - through some fluke of fate - haven't read this one yet, I think maybe you should. Hopefully some of these clippings will convince you.

Before we begin, I would like to do the responsible thing and mention that none of the following were mine - they are entirely that of the author's and the publisher's and anyone else who had a hand in this book's creation which is in no way affiliated with this blog. Also, there aren't any page numbers assigned because it was in ebook form, and that may not be accurate. However, I think a few of them are obviously from the same chapter because they cover similar ground. I'm hoping that we're all intelligent readers and can figure it out without having to be told. Okay, I think that about covers it. Follow the jump for the quotes now!


"... On the other hand, whenever I lose, like, five pounds, I basically start considering if I should 'try out' modeling."
"Sarah Silverman could make jokes about rape because, the fact of the matter was, she was much funnier and cuter than us. This was the problem about living in the post-Sarah Silverman world: lots of young women holding the scepter of inappropriateness did not know how to wield it."
"If she were from real life, people would think she was a homeless woman and would cross the street to avoid her, but she is essential to the male fantasy that even if a guy is boring, he deserves a woman who will find him fascinating and pull him out of himself by forcing him to go skinny-dipping in a stranger's pool."
"You wonder, as you sit and watch this movie, what the characters would do if they were confronted by an actual average American woman. They would all kill themselves, which would actually be kind of an interesting movie."
"I am especially tired of not knowing exactly what 'hooking up' means."
"What is fascinating to me is that divorced people tend to be the least depressing depressed people I know. They're all unburdened and cleansed, and the wiser for it. This is the case even if they didn't initiate the divorce." 
"I console myself by thinking, Well, I guess the angels just wanted her to shut up."
And there you have it, folks! Just like that one teenager in high school algebra that has a quota to meet for repeating every funny line in Anchorman, I just ruined whatever made this book charming and winsome for you! Until next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts by Feast of Poetry & Drink of Prose. All rights reserved.
Blog design by Labina Kirby.